Roundtable Recommends How to Strengthen Canada’s Innovation Economy
February 21, 2017
Today the TMX Group released the Advancing Innovation Roundtable report on how to increase access to growth capital for Canadian innovation economy companies as they progress beyond the seed and startup stages.
“The Roundtable recommendations are a call to action, primarily to the investment sector, to participate in the growth of Canada’s innovation economy companies and to help close our growth capital gap – currently estimated at $4 billion,” said Salil Munjal, Chair of the Advancing Innovation Roundtable. “The recommendations spell out immediate actions to improve capital supply and to strengthen Canada’s education and infrastructure investment to support growth-stage companies.”
The 12-member Roundtable is a private sector, investor-led group bringing together leaders across Canada’s financial services industry, including finance, investment and capital formation.
- Geoffrey Beattie, Chief Executive Officer, Generation Capital; Chairman, Relay Ventures; Member of the Board of Directors at General Electric, Royal Bank of Canada and Maple Leaf Foods
- Helen Beck, Senior Vice-President, Canadian Equities and Indexed Management, Equity Markets, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Michael Denham, President and Chief Executive Officer, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Paul Desmarais III, Vice-President, Power Financial and Power Corporation
- Loue Eccleston, Chief Executive Officer, TMX Group
- Stephen Forbes, Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer, CIBC
- Salil Munjal, General Partner, Yaletown Partners
- Hugh O’Reilly, President and Chief Executive Officer, OPTrust
- Gerry Pond, Chairman and Co-Founder, Mariner Partners Inc.
- Lisa Porlier, Lead (Technology Sector) and Deputy Country Manager, Russell Reynolds Associates
- Keven Uebelein, Chief Executive Officer, Aimco
- Tamara Vrooman, President and Chief Executive Office, VanCity Credit Union
The recommendations of the Advancing Innovation Roundtable focus on solutions, sourced from both the public and private markets, that address scalability and financing issues across Canada’s ecosystem that serves as the foundation for the long-term sustainability of the country’s innovation economy.
Read full press release
Author: Yaletown Partners
In the news
Image for 2022 RI Report Blog Dear stakeholders and partners, The past three years have been marked by a myriad of challenges and…
September 26, 2023
We are pleased to announce our investment in oneNav, a company that operates in the realm of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (…
September 12, 2023